Sunday, March 28, 2004

Knitting Continental

During the second meeting with my knitting group I realized that I was the only one knitting American. I asked the ladies why they preferred that style of knitting, and they said that they thought it was faster than American. When I first taught myself to knit, I tried both Continental and American. Knitting American seemed less awkward to me at the time, so I stuck with it. I knit to gauge this way, so I figured if it ain't broke don't fix it. I never tried the other style again. Well I'm always up for learning something new, so I decided to give Continental another shot. Man I tell ya it is like learning to knit all over again. I feel so clumsy and my stitches are all loose and uneven. I haven't reached the point where the needles feel comfortable in my hands, and it hasn't "clicked" yet. I figure if I practice a little bit every night, and I'll eventually get it. Fair Isle knitting is going to be my next endeavor, so I figure it is a good idea to get it down anyways.

I still haven't picked my 2x2 socks back up yet. I'm going to get back to them tomorrow. It was so weird going from knitting with size 0 needles to the size 3 needles I used to make my husbands socks. The size 3 needles felt like drumsticks. Anyways, I'm going to get back them tomorrow. I have about two more inches before I start the heel flap. I haven't looked ahead in the book but I can see how the flap is going to work. I can't imagine turning the heel though. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I always like to take new things one step at a time instead of jumping ahead. I will be posting pictures of my progress along the way.